31 May 2015 by Joe Ogden
If your home is looking more like a disaster zone than a place of tranquillity then here are a few top tips at regaining organisation.
1. Have a space for everything – it’s not easy but if everything you own has a home, not only will it be easier to find, you won’t be spending hours searching the entire house for an extension lead. We all have a ‘stuff’ drawer but being organised is much less stressful.
2. Do one room at a time – organising and de-cluttering doesn’t become overwhelming when it’s done room by room. It will help your home feel orderly and light. Be honest with what you are and aren’t using. If bulky items or keepsakes need storing then do so. But take them out of your everyday pathway.
3. Recycle any old clothes, toys or furniture – Give your wardrobe designated areas for certain items of clothing.
4. Buy a shoe rack – encourage your family to put their shoes away when they come home. It will save time in the morning too!
5. Create new spaces – Wall storage is a great way of keeping everything up off the floor. Increase storage by putting baskets and shelving into alcove areas, storage areas do not have to be imposing.
6. Outdoor spaces – these can be very effective for non-day to day requirements and bulkier items. Our Temporary storage solutions are perfect for this.
7. Let in light – this gives the illusion of space, tie curtains back or change them for blinds and free up the window areas.
8. Sell or giveaway all unwanted items – use sites such as gumtree, freegle and ebay as fuss free ways to rid your home of unwanted items.